    SubjectRe: asus pi-p65up5 w/ >64M anyone? was: [linux-kernel] ext2fs pr
    On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Dave Wreski wrote:
    > > The motherboard has OS/2 memory >64M disabled. It does appear
    > > that there is some kind of memory hole just after 65535k.
    > > If I don't pass mem=64M at boot it autodetects about 1024k more
    > > memory. I guess I'm getting the ext2fs errors because it is the first
    > > program to try and use the higher memory. I'm using the 2.0.33-pre3
    > > kernel now, so its not the ext corruption problem.
    >
    > The Asus boards I've used had a Tag RAM socket, and for $3.99 you can get the
    > RAM which will allow you to fully address above 64M. Check the Asus site to
    > see if this is necessary for your board.

    He said it was a PPro! A PPro's cache is fully integrated into the CPU,
    and caches any memory you can throw on it (definitely at least 4 GB..).

    Now, if it had been a Pentium, and the chipset *had* been the 430HX,
    *then* you'd have a point. Note that the 430HX chipset is getting pretty
    rare by now, and that *none* of the other Intel chipset for Pentium can
    cache above 64 MB. This includes the newer 430TX (necessary for SDRAM
    support)...

    A none to subtle hint that Intel wants out of the Pentium business I
    think.

    --
    Torbjörn Lindgren
    E-mail: tl@funcom.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:0.628 seconds]