SubjectRe: Console handling (was: Re: Let's vote for PnP on 2.2)
Date
> months... I don't really have anything more to offer for info..
> personally even though I'm trying to work on GGI I haven't yet been sold
> on why it's better than doing a usermode daemon - beyond the DMA and
> IRQ-related stuff that is. Though libGGI is very handy as it'll run on
> X as well as GGI/KGI [and soon svgalib I hope] without recompilation :).

The DMA is one advantage. Making it easier to pull SGI style dirty ticks
for fast video rendering is another (think DGA in a window). The actual
support for recovering video cards on mode switches requires almost no
code BTW.

All you need is an ioctl() that gives a list of in/out/memory operations
to do, and at the same time commits a "recovery" set of operations into
kernel space to be run on screen switch back.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.114 / U:0.468 seconds]