    SubjectRe: Conditional SymLinks
    > On Dec 11, Jim Bray wrote:
    >
    > > > There is I beleive some unix out there where one could imbed environment
    > > > variables in symlinks, like:
    > > >
    > > > /tmp -> ${HOME}/tmp
    > >
    > > Yeah, I had this idea maybe ten years ago. A friend told me someone
    > > (IRIX ?) has already done it. The idea of active objects in the filesystem
    > > is interesting, and could make porting code from other systems easier. Of
    > > course it could make debugging nearly impossible.
    >
    > I've seen this _many_ years ago in a BSD 4.2 (4.3?) implementation
    > from Sony (NewsOS 3.x and 4.x) on their MIPS R3000 workstations.
    > it was a nice feature and I really would like to see this in Linux too
    > (but don't ask me how this should be done;)

    Is it possible to see processes environment from kernel? If yes, it
    should be easy...

    Look at CONFIG_TRANS_NAMES. (It is something rather similar.)

    Also: Be careful. This could introduce *NASTY* security
    holes. Imagine:

    HOME=/etc telnet localhost

    Then in.telnetd has good chance of using /etc/tmp as its temporary
    directory. BAD.

    Pavel

    --
    I'm really pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. Pavel
    Look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ ;-).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:3.260 / U:1.036 seconds]