SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: Re: bzip2 for kernel dists?
Date
Followup to:  <199712121000.LAA00361@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>
By author: Martin von Loewis <martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > Yeah, but when one converts everything to different format, especially one
> > which unlike gunzip, is not extermely popular and not used for years,
> > I would expect to find those bzip2 utitiles on, say,
> > linux.kernel.org:/pub/linux/util in tar or tgz format.
>
> A fairly recent copy of bzip can be found on
> ftp.cygnus.com:/pub/egcs/infrastructure/bzip2-0.1pl2.tar.gz
> and all other egcs mirrors.
>
> Please note that gcc 2.7.2 is reported to miscompile bzip. I can
> confirm this report; I could not unpack egcs 1.0 with a bzip compiled
> with either 2.7.2 or egcs. Other reports indicate that reducing the
> optimization helps.
>
> In any case, I think it is up to the maintainers of ftp.kernel.org
> to decide on distribution formats. If somebody does not like the
> packaging, she can always offer an automated or manual service that
> does the repackaging.

As far as the program bzip2 goes, I won't deal with the distribution
of it unless the maintainer of it asks me for a site, in which case
I'd be happy to provide a site, or if there is an "official" site I
can certainly mirror it, but as it is right now I don't have either.

I have started providing .bz2 files by virtue of an auto-conversion
script just because it has been reasonably frequently requested, and
*at the moment* we have enough disk space to accommodate the request.

-hpa
--
PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.050 / U:1.260 seconds]