SubjectRe: kerneld & binfmt_aout
> The only appropriate solution I can think of relies on the kernel
> giving the first 32 bytes or so and modutils doing some sort of
> globbing.

IMHO, this shows that binfmt autoloading is not meant to work.
There are three options:
a) deprecate the feature, leave the code as-is, document the limitations.
b) try to make some new clever approach. For example, passing the
file name of the executable seems to be a much more reliable approach
than passing the first n bytes. kerneld could then do what file(1) does,
perhaps passing a different magic file that spits out the name of
the module.
c) continue the current road: change the aliasing every m kernel versions,
so ongoing confusion is guaranteed :-(

Since we have binfmt_misc now, option a) seems to work best. There are
only so many 'true' binary formats per architecture, everything else
falls in the interpreter category and is thus handled by binfmt_misc.

Regards,
Martin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.088 / U:0.084 seconds]