SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: Re: bzip2 for kernel dists?
Date
Mitch Davis <mjd#NOSPAM@nsmd.aus.hp.com> writes:

> Other people's mileage may vary, but I have found bunzip2 to be
> absolutely hideously SLLOOOWWW. The following test shows bunzip2
> to be 10 times slower to decompress than gunzip:

To point out the obvious, while 25 seconds might be a long time for
unpacking an archive, it is not particularly long for a multi-megabyte
download. With a 64Kb line, a megabyte takes about sixteen seconds
under optimal conditions - if you can shave a couple of Mb off the
distribution, it will clearly be worth it to many users. (And even to
ftp-site owners the reduced network load on the server might be worth
the extra disk space for *both* compression types - or even the CPU cost
of compressing on the fly - although that is more dubious)

~kzm

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.023 / U:1.444 seconds]