SubjectEXT2 Max File size
Hello Linux Friends,

My staff is complaining about having reached a maximum file size,
aparrently 1024 bytes short of 2^31 (so, signed int on our intel
machines). I don't know for sure, but I thought at some point in the
past we had dumped larger single files but I could be mistaken. We have
tried all concievable ways of generating files and all stop short at the
above mentioned limit.

We are using libc-5.4.38 and kernel 2.1.65 (at the moment)

Questions -- is this an EXT2 limit (by design) or just our C libraries
with fseek using signed int or something like that. Does anyone know if
switching to glibc helps this? We have one disk formated to about 8.4G
with EXT2, so something must be dealing with greater than 4-byte words
right?

Just looking for ideas before I trying to hack at things.

Unfortunately we cannot afford to do something like switch to alphas.

--

"If I'm right 90% of the time, why quibble about the remaining 3%?"
-Unknown

http://misic.soc.cornell.edu
Mark Hamilton Wright (Koni)
Dept. of Computer Science
Dept. of Sociology (CORSIM RESEARCH)
322 Uris Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.032 / U:5.524 seconds]