SubjectRe: smbfs trace on WfW
Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> Welcome to the Twilight Zone! Here is the trace from an iozone run
> against WfW with debugging turned on in smbfs/file.c:
>
> You will note the glaring absence of any log entries pertaining to
> smb_read operations <g>. Nonetheless, reads are occurring (albeit at
> slower rates than would be expected with cacheing), so where is the data
> coming from? BTW, I'm confident that read tracing is operational, as it
> does pickup activity from cat-ing existing files on the server.

Hi Steve,
The only explanation I can think of is that the flood of messages
overloaded your logging. I tried running

iozone 1 8192

and got a more modest set of log messages showing the transition from
write to read. You should see an fsync, a close, then the file being
opened, and the count of the number of pages cached. On the NT server,
it shows 256 pages cached after finishing the write.

Regards,
Bill

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.097 / U:0.300 seconds]