    SubjectRe: "while :; do mkdir;cd mkdir;done"
    On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Guest section DW wrote:

    >: So why James Mastros had a filesystem panic
    >: after running the offending script?
    >How should I know? You want to cure symptoms instead of bugs?
    >If it is reproducible, someone should investigate this panic,
    >and fix whatever is wrong. Having long names is not wrong.

    I can' t reproduce the problem on my own system. The only thing I can
    tell, is that creating the recursive tree the HD _stalls_. I can' t launch
    other applications if I don' t break the tree generation.

    To make the tree I use:
    void main(void)
    while(1) {

    To delete it after I use:
    void main(void)
    while(1) {

    The HD doesn' t stall while deleting the tree.

    Even if the HD stalls (maybe this don' t happen on SCSI systems) I can' t
    report other problems.

    James can you try the two C programs above in your system to see if you
    can reproduce the problem you reported before? Be sure to use 2.1.72 or
    above kernels before try anything.

    Andrea[s] Arcangeli

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.021 / U:37.004 seconds]