    SubjectRe: Linux on Merced
    Date
    > > Apparently the compiler is responsible for keeping track of a lot
    > > of the CPU state information, and its a very complex process.
    >
    > As I understand VLIW architecture, the distinction between machine
    > instructions (aka assembler) and microcode is somewhat blurred. If that
    > is correct, then I would tend to believe his assessment.

    Its purely semantics. One might argue for intel ia32 that gcc generates
    assembler that the asesmbler encodes and the CPU then encodes into microcode.
    If gcc writes "macrocode" for a VLIW assembler then the same steps occur
    but the last one isnt at runtime

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:60.260 seconds]