SubjectRe: Filesize limitation
Date
> > I think there is a real need for files > 2GB.
>
> Linux will support such files when the _is_ a real need.
> Over the years, I've seen less than a dozen people complain.
> As for myself, 2 GB would be an acceptable hard disk limit.

If adding large disk support, or anything else, makes Linux the
most advanced kernel available, then so be it. I can live with
that burden.

The fact that some people need the functionality is all it takes
to justify adding support to Linux, if you can find a developer
willing to do the work required.

I'm writing a detailed reference on the kernel VFS, and the
other day I surprised myself when I noticed that Linux supports
about 20 different file systems. I guess somebody needed them.
Sound familiar?

--
Andrew E. Mileski mailto:aem@netcom.ca

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.027 / U:0.352 seconds]