SubjectRe: CONFIG_SMP patch updated for 2.1.61

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Martin Mares wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Yes. "gcc -M" has various "features" that makes it completely useless for
> > any real dependancy generation.
> [SNIP]
> > It becomes even more useless when trying to make a more intelligent
> > configuration setup.
>
> Yes, I agree...
>
> But another issue related very closely to the config option problems:
> shouldn't we finally rewrite the kernel makefiles to support separate
> source and object trees, allowing for separate compilation for multiple
> architectures? I think most people would appreciate such changes...
> Linus, tell me your opinion on this, please.

Oh yes, this would really be excellent. It would help a lot for folks who
have a variety of different machines, some with specific requirements.
It's so much nicer to be able to build kernels on your fastest boxes for
testing on possibly slower boxes (such as 386/486 routers or low end
laptops). Right now you have to do some gymnastics to even make this
feasible... modules make it a real pain too.

Dean

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.026 / U:0.400 seconds]