SubjectRe: CONFIG_SMP patch updated for 2.1.61
> Note that the principal reason why CONFIG_SMP isn't an option is that it
> affects too much. It means that if you re-make the config file,
> _everything_ gets recompiled. It _used_ to be a config option, but I
> removed it because of this problem.

This is a problem that affects just every config option. If I forgot
to include the lp driver and want to enable that one, I wind up
recompiling the whole network and scsi stuff, etc.

> The only way I would like a CONFIG_SMP would be if the config process
> itself was made smarter, and did:

This is long overdue, not for SMP but for every option.

I have proposed the following scheme: for every single option
CONFIG_X, create a file <linux/config/X.h> that just contains the
single definition for X, and let the source files include all of them.
It may be ugly but nothing other than the kernel make process has to
see it, and it is efficient.

Scripts to convert the existing source base 90% automatically into
this scheme have been posted to this list several times...

olaf
(just remembering the 386 I retired this January where a kernel
compile took about 2 hours...)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.060 / U:0.748 seconds]