    SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.62..

    [edited in an attempt to make it sane]
    On 04-Nov-97 James Mastros wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >> But what I _would_ like to see is patches in my mailbox that have been
    >> tested - I follow the kernel mailing lists very spottily, so sending the
    >> patches to the mailing list does not mean they reach me. I still encourage
    >> people to do that (that's what the mailing list is there for), but please
    >> consider that a "testing phase", to then later send the patches to me
    >> personally...

    >> Also, final comment: if you _have_ sent patches to me, and they didn't
    >> show up in a kernel and you heard nothing back about why they didn't show
    >> up, please don't despair - re-send them instead (possibly with a longer
    >> explanation of why you want them in the standard kernel).
    >> I'm afraid that
    >> some of my mail does tend to disappear: not because of unreliable email
    >> per se, but simply because I get a lot of it and if I'm busy doing
    >> something else I often overlook email I shouldn't overlook (but once it's
    >> been overlooked I -very- seldom have time to go back to old email).

    > You might want to make a folder of kernel-patches to take a look at
    > when you get a half-second (such as when you are waiting for a compile...
    > Assuming that you're still using a computer that takes non-negitive time to
    > compile.)

    To that end, perhaps if people who send patches to you make the subject
    "LINUX KERNEL PATCH <foo driver>" or something, then you could procmail
    (or whatever) them to an suitable mailbox. Making it easier for you to
    do what James suggested, above.

    Would that be a good idea? If so, yell and let us know what the procmail
    rule is, so we can all use it :-)

    Mike Bristow -

    Let's send the Russians defective lifestyle accessories!

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.031 / U:48.096 seconds]