    SubjectRe: Filesize limitation
    On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Rogier Wolff wrote:

    > Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > >
    > > On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Andre Uratsuka Manoel wrote:
    > >

    > > > Hello gentlemen,
    > > >
    > > > I was contact by people asking about filesize limits in Linux as
    > > > they tried to create a 2GB file, but couldn't. I figured the problem
    > > > might be the filesize limitation. At least that is what I'd expect to
    > > > happen with a file that size. Am I right on that? If it is so, is there
    > > > a 64-bit filesystem for Linux?
    > > >
    > > There is plenty of "room" available in the object types that would
    > > define a file in Linux for an ext2 file-system (like fpos_t, etc.)
    >
    > No there isn't.

    yes there is - fpos_t is moving towards 64bit I think....
    > > I don't have a spare disk large enough to make a 2Gb file. However,
    >
    > You don't need to. Make a file with a large hole in it.
    >
    > > I would guess that if you can't make one (with large enough media), there
    > > is either a bug in the program that tries to create it or possibly a
    > > bug in the kernel. You don't need 64 bits to manipulate a 2 Gb file.
    >
    > Nope. The minix filesystem limits you to 256Mb of file.
    > The ext2fs limits you to 2G files.

    No - it allows 64bit files :)
    ... providing the kernel can handle it though...
    [afaik, but backed up by a thread a couple of months ago]

    > Try the following:
    >
    > # create a file "testfile", seek to 2G-2Mb, write one Mb of zeroes.
    > dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile seek=2046 bs=1024k count=1
    > # OK.
    >
    > # Append some kilobytes of zeroes, until we hit the limit.
    > dd if=/dev/zero bs=1k >> testfile
    > # File too large after 1023 blocks output.

    dd (or bash in this case) doesn't (yet) handle the large file access
    sysctl's.... (llseek and friends :)
    and as an "append to file" requires a lseek to the end of the file...
    [incidentally, I can't remember why, but write() has this problem too]

    > # See how much disk space this uses:
    > ls -ls testfile
    > # 2058 blocks on my system. Around 2Mb. Each of the two dd commands
    > # generated an allocation of about 1Mb.
    >
    > Someone sent me a short DOS program to analyse an image today. My
    > reaction was: I wouldn't write a program for that I should have a tool
    > already on my system to do that. So I did. Same here. Enough tools
    > available on a standard Linux box to experiment with from the command
    > line.....

    According to the thread I followed:
    1. ext2fs is happy with 64bit limits
    2. Linux/Alpha doesn't have a problem with this IIRC
    3. The 64bit sysctls are still being built.....
    (as a hint: they appeared in 2.1.60....)
    4. glibc-2.1 will be the first system to support them (already do)
    Now any and all of these could be wrong... But one clue: This thread
    happened a month or three ago....
    G'day, eh? :)
    - Teunis

    PS: glibc-2.1 isn't exactly common (yet). Most tools aren't linked to
    that. Ergo most tools can't handle >2G files. Yet.
    (though I suppose one could write one's own hooks into the large
    filesystem support... :)