SubjectRe: Filesize limitation
Date
Followup to:  <Pine.LNX.3.95.971103113636.115A-100000@chaos.analogic.com>
By author: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> > Hello gentlemen,
> >
> > I was contact by people asking about filesize limits in Linux as
> > they tried to create a 2GB file, but couldn't. I figured the problem
> > might be the filesize limitation. At least that is what I'd expect to
> > happen with a file that size. Am I right on that? If it is so, is there
> > a 64-bit filesystem for Linux?
> >
> I don't have a spare disk large enough to make a 2Gb file. However,
> I would guess that if you can't make one (with large enough media), there
> is either a bug in the program that tries to create it or possibly a
> bug in the kernel. You don't need 64 bits to manipulate a 2 Gb file.

Actually, Linux *does* have a 2 GB (2^31-1 bytes) filesize limit in
the current incarnation. For one thing, the file length field in the
ext2 inode is 32 bits.

There has been a lot of talk about supporting a new set of 64-bit
system calls and I think some of the latest experimental kernels do
support them.

-hpa
--
PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans