    SubjectRe: Triton DMA
    Gerard Roudier wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > >
    > > In the beginning, parity was considered reasonable: Measurements
    > > showed that say only one in a million bits went wrong. In that
    > > situation, using parity is not that bad: there is just a 1 chance in a
    > > million that a second bit error occurs in that same byte. You
    > > possibly miss just one error in a million, 999,999 are flagged
    > > correctly. This means that 1 in 1.25e11 bytes is incorrectly flagged
    > > as correct while in reality it is wrong.
    > >
    > > However nowadays we know, that it doesn't always work like that. You
    > > might have a 1 in four million chance of a BYTE going wrong, with an
    > > average of 4 bits wrong in that byte (i.e. the byte is completely
    > > random). Still just one bit in a million is wrong, but a completely
    > > random byte has a 50/50 chance of getting the right parity by
    > > accident. So now you're getting 1 byte in 1e6 bytes flagged
    > > as correct while in reality it is wrong.
    > >
    > > In the first case, you get one error per day of full-time copying. In
    > > the second case you get 5 errors per second. (Assuming 5Mb per
    > > second).

    > Thanks for the explanation.
    > Btw, I did not observe that my Ultra Wide SCSI BUS ever got 40
    > undetected errors per second. But I read that IDE DMA may corrupt
    > data and noticed that PIO is often recommended against DMA.

    Stop! I just took a "one bit in a million" as an example. The real
    rate may be 1000 or 1000000 less often, leading to error rates that
    are a little more beleivable.

    Incorrectly terminated SCSI busses or too long a SCSI bus lead to
    erratic behaviour. Same (cable too long, or improper termination)
    goes for IDE. (From the 16Mb/sec mode upwards, the motherboard side
    of the cable has to be terminated.)

    > My opinion about IDE BUS is that it is not a suitable IO bus for mass
    > storage devices, but looks like some extension of some system bus, since
    it is.
    > it is neither terminated, nor uses differential signals.
    > If I enjoyed driving trabants with race car engine, I would probably
    > use IDE Ultra 33 devices.

    Gerard, you do need to realize that a 32bit CRC detects all single
    byte, double byte, and triple byte errors. It detects (2^-32)-1 out of
    2^32 of all quad byte and longer errors. Upto bursts of 64 bytes of
    random data, this has a better chance of catching real errors than a
    per-byte parity.

    You're right that an unacceptable overhead would be incurred if
    software would need to calculate the CRC. As to the speed of
    calculating a CRC against that of parity, both can be implemented in
    hardware with just a few xor gates.

    Gerard, may I ask you a question on YOUR field of expertise? I got a
    SCSI disk last thursday, and connected it to my '810 card. The disk
    didn't have any labelled jumpers, but as it had been at the end of the
    chain, I gathered that it must have been terminated. So I Assumed that
    this was the case, and hooked it up like that. It turned out that I
    was wrong, and the disk was unterminated.

    With this as the hardware situtation, my machine once locked. I would
    expect SERIOUS failures when my system would be using SCSI as the
    root-device, but as it is, just a few "large" storage partitions were
    mounted on the SCSI disks. With bad termination, I'd expect parity
    errors, timeouts, but not a complete lockup.

    ** ** +31-15-2137555 ** **
    Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a
    109-car freight train drove over him. According to the police the man was
    drunk. The man himself claims he slipped while walking the dog. 080897

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.026 / U:208.096 seconds]