    SubjectRe: fork: out of memory
    Hi!

    > I must be missing a big point here ... why is it not
    > possible to either (a) turn on paging in the kernel
    > so that non-contiguous pages can be easily made to look
    > contiguous to kernel code, or (b) when you can't find

    a) is bad: linux performs so good partly because its own ram is
    unswapable.

    > 8 contiguous pages, pick the first free page and swap
    > the data in the next 7 adjacent pages with other free

    b) is impossible: You would have to modify all pointers pointing to
    that memory. Or you would have to use MM tricks which are slow - see
    a).

    > pages in memory. Method (b) could construct any number of
    > contiguous free pages atomically with the only penalty
    > being some chunky memcpy's ...

    Pavel

    --
    I'm really pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. Pavel
    Look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ ;-).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.042 / U:120.404 seconds]