    Subject2.0.32: hard lockups with adaptec 2940U
    Hello all.

    I've seen hard lockups on three rather different machines that seem to
    be due to problems with the adaptec driver. One machine is a PPro-200
    with Intel mainboard, the other two are a P166, Gigabyte mainbord w/HX
    chipset AFAIR. On all three machines the lockup could be triggered by
    simply copying large files (abt 3-5Meg each) from CDROM to one of the
    SCSI disks. The machines lock up hard, nothing in the logs.

    For one of the machines (my own one) I solved the problem by replacing
    the 2940U with an older non-ultra-2940 controller. None of the three
    machines is equipped with Ultra-SCSI devices, though.

    Last night I compiled a kernel with tagged command queueing disabled and
    the particular machine, one of the P166, is up since then and has not
    shown any unusual behaviour. However, this machine has been running the
    July-27 snapshot of the driver with tagged command queueing enabled
    without problems.

    The lockups happen on no-load conditions, too. On the PPro it once
    happended on simply mounting the CDROM. Compiling the Kernel has been
    successful in any case, however.

    To gather some more information I'll try to redirect kernel messages to
    the console on one of the P166, the PPro is a production machine and now
    back at 2.0.26

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:2.384 seconds]