SubjectRE: Linux 2.0.32 and DEC 21142 Ethernet
==> Regarding RE: Linux 2.0.32 and DEC 21142 Ethernet; Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> adds:

dledford> On 25-Nov-97 Jos Vos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if the Digital 21142 chip should work fine with Linux
>> 2.0.32? I'm considering to buy a Digital system with a built-in 21142,
>> but I have serious doubts about the support for this chip in 2.0.x,
>> after searching for information using AltaVista and Dejanews.

dledford> That's a good question. The de4x5 driver update that went into
dledford> 2.0.30 (or was it in 2.0.31) was suppossed to add support for
dledford> these cards, but I can't say myself since I haven't used them.
dledford> The next update to that driver is also suppossed to clean up a
dledford> few bugs here and there specifically in relation to those cards.
dledford> There is a patch available against 2.0.32 that updates the de4x5
dledford> driver to version 0.53, which is the latest version as posted by
dledford> the author of the driver to linux-net about a week ago. It would
dledford> be nice to know how this version of the driver works compared to
dledford> the older versions. Specifically, does it properly support the
dledford> chipset you mentioned, and does it finally fix the problem with
dledford> DE500 cards in 100Mbit/s mode? Anybody want to test this out and
dledford> let me know? The patch is available on the LMP website under the
dledford> additional patches area for now. For those of you who don't
dledford> recall, the LMP website is at http://linux.dialnet.net/LMP

This should be supported under the tulip driver
(http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers), which supports the whole tulip
chipset family of cards. I've been using the tulip driver with a DE500 in
100M-FD for about a month now, with 0 problems. Clocked it at up to
30Mbytes sustained file transfer, still have to do some actual testing
soon...

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 4.9.1 Linux 2.0.32 i586 | at public servers
"[In 'Doctor' mode], I spent a good ten minutes telling Emacs what I
thought of it. (The response was, 'Perhaps you could try to be less
abusive.')"
(By Matt Welsh)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.066 / U:0.340 seconds]