    SubjectRe: TTY changes to 2.1.65

    Tytso> Hi Linus, The following patches fix a few bugs in the serial
    Tytso> driver, as well as starts a process of taking common
    Tytso> functionality which is being done in each tty low-level driver,
    Tytso> and moves it up to the high-level tty driver. The strategy
    Tytso> which is followed is much like the one followed by the SCSI
    Tytso> layer --- there are high-level functions which handle the
    Tytso> common case which are available to the low-level driver, but
    Tytso> each low-level driver is always free to do its own thing if it
    Tytso> needs to do so for some reason.

    Wheeeh, am I glad to see these patches.

    Another thing I would like to see in the generic code is an interface
    to register serial drivers instead of the current approach where every
    serial driver is assigned its own major.

    I see no reason for wasting all these majors on this and IMHO it is a
    lot better to use dynamic allocation of serial devices, thus if one
    replaces a serial board with a different brand it is not necessary to
    go and change the entire software setup. I know this doesn't matter so
    much on PC's where 99% of the serial boards are 16cx50 compatible, but
    on systems where the serial boards are totally different this is a bit

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.019 / U:185.364 seconds]