SubjectRe: updated smbfs patch
Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> However, the problem persists with Linux not detecting new files created
> on the server. Once the file exists on the server, no incantation will
> cause it to show up in a directory listing (though it can be directly
> stat-ed) until there exists no Linux process with the server as current
> working directory. Then, after an ls is done for the full pathname to the
> server directory it appears in listings from that point onward.

Hi Steve,
I made some further changes to smbfs related to directory revalidation,
and you should have no problems under NT. Win 3.1 is another matter --
DOS apparently doesn't update the directory timestamp when you create a
file, so smbfs doesn't know when to invalidate a cached directory.
Deleting a file does update the timestamp.

The only workaround I can think of for this is to either forego cacheing
directories altogether for Win 3.1 or earlier, or give it a very short
timeout like 2 seconds or whatever.

> I think we really need to automagically detect the type of server being
> mounted, as many users will have a conglomeration of Win95/WfW/NT boxes.

Done -- see my patch of today :-) Actually it's not automagic, but it
does let you specify the server on a per-mount basis instead of having
to compile it. (And only Win 95 needs special treatment, so you don't
need to do anything.)

Regards,
Bill

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.059 / U:0.236 seconds]