    SubjectRe: [URGENT ASSISTANCE REQUESTED] production machines dying

    On 24-Nov-97 Alan Cox wrote:
    >> Kernel panic: skput : over: nnnnnnnn:nnn
    >> In swapper task - not syncing
    >> I have checked both machines and can find no other error messages as
    >> to why it is crashing. I can't recall the exact value of nnnnnnnnn:nnn.
    > Those numbers are absolutely critical. Furthermore this is one variant
    > of the effects of the "teardrop" fragment attack against Linux/95/NT
    > that is fixed in 2.0.32. If you see it with 2.0.32 I -do- want to know
    > Alan

    All of you pointed out the need for the values on nnnnnnnn:nnn. Can any
    of you describe to me how to interpret these numbers in a way that does
    not involve running gdb on the machine in question (which is not possible,
    since when I receive this error, the machine freezes).

    Many thanks to those who have responded thus far. As for suggestions that
    I move these machines to any of the 2.1.x kernels...not on your life. The
    systems in question are part of our production web site and have to be up
    24 hours a day, seven days a week. (We aren't even allowed to bring down
    the service to move it to a new building 10 miles away from the old one,
    which is what we did this past weekend. Eat your hearts out Infoseek.)

    | Tom Schenk | Use Linux! | All opinions expressed |
    | | Friends don't let | are mine and not those |
    | | friends do Windows! | of my employer. |

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.018 / U:13.616 seconds]