SubjectRe: Problems insmod ppp in 2.0.31+2.0.32
> your linux-2.0.32

Compiling the kernel with different options yields different kernel
structures. This is something that needs to be fixed somehow. I am
currently trying to put together a set of our drivers for distribution and
for source code this is very simple but I thought how nice it would be
to provide .deb and .rpm binary packages as well. This is really helpful
for end users who dont compile source code or build new kernels. This is
not possible with the current module versioning system. The simplest
approach would be to always compile all the exported structures the same
regardless of what option were specified. This is very bad as much memory
would be wasted for typical users. Anybody thought about this problem? It
really would be nice to be able to provide pre-compiled modules for users
and still use module versioning for when something really changes.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:1.790 / U:0.008 seconds]