SubjectRe: Console freeze (third episode)
From
Hello,

i'm experiencing complete freezes, too.
I first noticed them somewhere in 2.1.4x (with x being 5 to 9, IIRC).
The whole thing is strange ..
1. to get it frozen i've to switch to another virtual terminal.
Sometimes (one switch of 1000, but 10000 if i try to force it)
something bad happens, either the screen is black (a) or the old
terminal is still shown (b).
In case b the screen will turn black after some time (not the
screen blanker period).
In either case keyboard input is impossible (Sysrq doesn't help
either).
2. in case a the machine sometimes still responds to pings for some
seconds, but most of the time not.
3. in case b the machine normally is usable from remote for minutes (it
seems to be usable until the screen turns black - after that the
whole machine hangs). There is no sign of danger in the syslog files,
but the machine seems to be slow (independent of the real load).

This happens perhaps once in a week. 2.1.60 did hang.

I don't remember any problem while the machine had load (but that's
because i don't switch terminals very often if the machine is sluggish).

The system is a dual P133 SCSI system, with a Cyclom-Y/ISA, 3Com 509,
Buslogic BT-958, NCR53C810 and a S3.

I don't remember any hangers in single processor mode, but i didn't try
long enough to be sure (and won't try long enough - that machine is too
slow anyway).

Just to add a problem ...

Regards, Uwe

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.360 / U:0.272 seconds]