SubjectRe: 2.0.32: /proc busy
Ulrich Windl wrote:

> I had some kernel protection faults that caused a program (xosview)
> to abort with SIGSEGV. During shutdown I noticed that /proc couldn't
> be unmounted (/proc: Filesystem busy). Now I wonder if that's just a
> very special case or whether the inode of an aborted process is still
> busy somehow.

A kernel oops or other bug may cause an inode not to be released or
other such problems. But nothing from user space should ever cause a
resource leak; otherwise there would be no way to guarantee the
stability of the system over time.

Even one leaked inode could be repeated until the system came down.

So when you say "kernel protection faults", was this an oops or other
kernel bug?

Regards,
Bill

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.144 / U:0.064 seconds]