SubjectRe: Figured you should probably know this...
On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Chel van Gennip wrote:

> Phillip W Ross <pwrst1+@pitt.edu> wrote:
> >On 14 Nov 1997, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >> Actually, the thing that somebody suggested to me was something I really
> >> want to see: a "Borg" penguin with the caption "Word Domination:
> >> Resistance is Futile".
> >>
> >> Any artistically inclined people out there?
> >
> > Well, I started up GIMP and started turning the Penguin into a
> >borg, but then I began to feel guilty about taking away the poor guy's
> >sex appeal... so I just quit. My girlfriend loves the Pengiun and she'd
> >kill me if she knew I was responsible for turning the Penguin into a borg.
> >
> > Trust me...the Borg Penguin is not something that people wanna
> >see. It wasn't as funny or cute as I thought it would be. It's actually
> >very depressing-looking!
>
> I think the normal animated GIF Penguin (with the blinking eyes) combines very
> well with the capion "World Domination: Resistance is Futile". The contrast is
> nice.

I dunno. The whole World Domination thing is, well, the Other Guys'
Way. I thought of something more like that terriffic scene at the end of
_The Power That Preserves_ (Stephen Donaldson non-fans can tune out now.)
Thomas Covenant essentially tells Lord Foul that he refuses to believe in
the possibility of Foul's victory, and since Covenant holds the Wild
Magic that, as they say, is that. How to turn that into a
universally-understandable graphic that fits in a reasonable amount of
space is something I can't imagine -- well, I'm not a graphic artist.

Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer MWOOD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Those who will not learn from history are doomed to reimplement it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.054 / U:0.776 seconds]