    SubjectRe: smb fix no-go...
    Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
    > > I'm assuming only that the Win 3.1 server is somehow different, as the
    > > smbfs code works fine when talking to Win NT.
    >
    > I agree. It's fine here as well.

    I went back and reviewed the logs you sent before, and have a new theory
    of what's going wrong.

    You mentioned observing that the size of the tmp file remains at 0 until
    it finishes writing. I think what's happening is that each time we
    refresh the inode, the server says the file size is still 0. Then right
    after closing, the call to smb_file_read first does a revalidate, but
    the revalidate doesn't acutally check on the server because the inode
    has been updated so recently. So the generic_file_read routine thinks
    there's nothing to be read because the inode i_size is still 0.

    When you put a time delay between closing and opening for reading, that
    forced the revalidation to check with the server, and then the read
    worked. We may not actually need a delay, just a guaranteed refresh of
    the inode.

    I think a reasonable way to fix this is to force a revalidation after
    closing for old_style servers. Do you observe this problem with Win 95,
    or just Win 3.1?

    Regards,
    Bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.019 / U:92.220 seconds]