SubjectRe: smb fix no-go...
Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> > I'm assuming only that the Win 3.1 server is somehow different, as the
> > smbfs code works fine when talking to Win NT.
>
> I agree. It's fine here as well.

I went back and reviewed the logs you sent before, and have a new theory
of what's going wrong.

You mentioned observing that the size of the tmp file remains at 0 until
it finishes writing. I think what's happening is that each time we
refresh the inode, the server says the file size is still 0. Then right
after closing, the call to smb_file_read first does a revalidate, but
the revalidate doesn't acutally check on the server because the inode
has been updated so recently. So the generic_file_read routine thinks
there's nothing to be read because the inode i_size is still 0.

When you put a time delay between closing and opening for reading, that
forced the revalidation to check with the server, and then the read
worked. We may not actually need a delay, just a guaranteed refresh of
the inode.

I think a reasonable way to fix this is to force a revalidation after
closing for old_style servers. Do you observe this problem with Win 95,
or just Win 3.1?

Regards,
Bill

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans