SubjectRe: MSR driver
On 14 Nov 1997, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Only if you take SMP into account (this applies to all methods.) It's
> no good if on an SMP machine you effectively end up setting MSR's on
> any random processor, which may change without notice.

Okay! Come on! You SMP guys! Please help me add support for SMP! I see no
problem in doing this except that I'm not driving around my block in a
Mercedes. Not even in a broken "A Klasse" :)

If you tell me how to do it, I can implement it and send it to you for
testing.

Implementing SMP is no problem in both the device file and proc FS
concept.

But which one should I choose??

I see no point in working on one when someone comes around the corner a
few weeks later and tells me that MSR support is not gonna be included in
the kernel because it uses the wrong interface!

> We may want to have a "cpu X only" system call (schedule only on a
> specific processor) for things that use per-processor features, such
> as RDTSC.)

Could you do this?

> -hpa

- Stephan

P.S.: Please don't get me wrong. I very much appreciate all your hard work
at Linux, esp. the recent p5bugfix :).

Stephan.Meyer@pobox.com
meyerst@informatik.uni-muenchen.de
http://pobox.com/~stephan.meyer/
2A 64 F0 73 02 91 10 FC 18 CC 83 1E E2 2C 7E 79

So what would an angel say
The devil wants to know

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.072 / U:0.120 seconds]