    SubjectRe: knfsd and system crashes
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > permanent representation of a file, following a server crash the old
    > > client filehandles could still be looked up, but more slowly.
    >
    > Since you have the parent inode, surely we can use that and a faked /proc
    > path of
    >
    > /proc/dev/08:13/parent-inode/filename
    >
    > in such cases

    The problem isn't that we can't get a new dentry for the
    parent-inode/inode; after doing a search we have a dentry. But the
    client will continue to talk to the server using the original handle,
    which has the original long-expired (or reused) dentry. There's no
    provision to tell a client, "here, use this filehandle now".

    Possibly I can find a way to cache the secondary lookup info by (parent
    inode, inode) to avoid repeating the full search ...

    Regards,
    Bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:4.226 / U:0.032 seconds]