SubjectRe: Communicator crash; kill -9 won't remove (pre-10!)
From the user, apparently this happens in the composer "part" of
communicator. I'm using 4.03 (professional edition) on a RH4.2 system:
libc.so.5.3.12
libm.so.5.0.6
ld.so.1.7.14

Also, someone mentioned to me in private mail about the zombie. Yes, there
is a zombie, but it is a child of the parent communicator which won't die
with a kill -9:
[root@vuser ~]$ pstree -p | head -2
init(1)-+-amd(374)
|-communicator(1629)---communicator(1630)
[root@vuser ~]$ kill -9 1629
[root@vuser ~]$ pstree -p | head -2
init(1)-+-amd(374)
|-communicator(1629)---communicator(1630)
[root@vuser ~]$
The only thing that I could see happening is that 1629 is stuck in the
kernel somewhere, no?
-Rob H.

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Doug Ledford wrote:

> Not to say there isn't something funny going on with this whole thing, but I
> know that Netscape's web site points out that various things in the linux
> communicator are known to have problems. Specifically, there are problems
> with certain versions of libc. I used communicator with the libc from
> RedHat-4.0 and RedHat-4.2 and it worked OK. Also, for the dynamically
> linked version, plug ins are OK, but they crash the statically linked
> version. FWIW, I also left Java disabled when I was running it (I went back
> to 3.01 Gold since it seems to work better, can use plug ins, and uses less
> RAM to boot).

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans