    SubjectRe: Linux 2.0 and 2.1 stability..
    Pete Harlan wrote:
    > Barring reading 1e6 messages from the archives, or reading 6e4 lines
    > of source, if someone's keeping track of new features a post here
    > might save a lot of grief.

    Again, this was why I brought up the notion of a linux-kernel-announce
    list, but that seemed unlikely. Simply posting a "up to date" features
    list would be equally useful.

    > (For example, I'm wondering if the raw disk access that was slated for
    > 2.2 has, in fact, made the cut. It's one of those features that DB
    > Vendors like to list as a reason why they don't want to port.
    > (Informix very recently brought this up.))

    Has Informix actually made a public statement as to why they aren't
    interested in porting to Linux? When I was on the phone with one of
    their tech people, the feeling he gave me was that Linux wouldn't
    be ported to for lack of serious commercial support (as in: if the
    problem is not in Informix's code, they have no way of remedying the
    problem without actually debugging non-Informix code, which they
    are not prepared to do.) Unlike commercial OS's, in which there
    is clearly an organization of people who are financially responsible
    for the product, Linux has no such organization who a commercial
    software vendor can say: "it's a problem in your code," and refer
    the irate customer to bug that vendor's support personnel.

    If you've been told that it's simply a features-issue of the kernel
    that is keeping Informix back, hell, I'll work on whatever features
    they feel are prerequisite to a Linux port. *grin*

    I would love to see an Informix port to x86/linux. I'm assuming
    since sparc/linux has SunOS binary compatibility, that sparc/linux
    will run Informix just fine (?), but I haven't had any verified
    instances where people are running Informix on sparc/linux.

    As it stands, I currently develop for Informix under AIX, and
    may possibly be doing it on a Unisys box, and an HP-9000. I'd
    like to be able to build my own test/development environment
    with x86/linux + informix if possible (just to cut costs of
    building my own development environment).

    -Dossy

    --
    Now I'm who I want to be, where I want to be, doing what I've always said I
    would and yet I feel I haven't won at all... (Aug 9, 95: Goodbye, JG.)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:2.408 / U:0.068 seconds]