SubjectPCI device names in the kernel (was: Re: LX chipset)
On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Donald Becker wrote:

[...]

> [[ Flame to linux-kernel: I answer similar questions all of the time.
> Having a table of device names is pure kernel bloat.
> Not only do these error message cause many spurious bug reports, when the
> card is recognized the VendorID and DeviceID are no longer reported in
> /proc/pci!
> The new device names in the 2.0.31 kernel broken many of my PCI ethercard
> diagnostic programs, which read /proc/pci looking for the proper devices.
> Can't we get rid of the in-kernel translation and have the mapping from
> VendorID/DeviceID to device name done by a user-level program? ]]

I second this. From my experience, the "Unrecognized PCI device..." causes
too much trouble. People giving linux support get many "bug reports" and
questions without any need...
And hardware manufacturers are releasing new devices at a rate the linux
kernel can never keep up with.

> Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov

Hubert

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.111 / U:0.572 seconds]