    Subjectgcc static/dynamic libc default

    I have compiled a kernel on a new machine that I had not used for
    compiling before, and it seems to work. However, upon attempting to
    compile another package, which on older machines always uses libc
    dynamically, I find that on the new machine the package gets libc
    statically linked. Even completely re-installing my compiler I still get
    the same result. I am using gcc 2.7.2 on the old machines and on the new
    machine; and the libc is 5.4.38 on all the machines. Is there some kind of
    config file someplace in which one tells gcc whether the libc should be
    linked dynamically or statically? The applciation's own shared library
    gets linked dynamically, but libc does not. What would cause that? Will it
    affect the kernel that i compiled with it? The kernel seems to be the same
    size as normal but I am concerned because obviously SOMETHING is different
    on the new machine. How does one tell gcc not to link clib dynamically yet
    link other libs dynamically? More importantly, how can i go back to the
    normal behavior seen on other machines, which is to have libc linked
    dynamically to stuff that I compile?

    Do I need to go to some kind of gcc mailing list for such a question? If
    so, where?

    Blessed Be. -MarkM-

    We do remote Linux install, config, support and administration. Inquire.
    "The saddest thing is they WANT to be ignorant, INSIST on it in fact."

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.017 / U:7.980 seconds]