SubjectRe: mcd-driver and joliet
Erik Andersen writes:
>Certainly one of
>them should be eliminated, and mcdx seems to be cleaner and more
>featureful (I have carefully read both drivers (I wish I knew where the
>spec for the Mitsumi is hiding)).
>
>I suppose that if noone can think of a good reason to keep the old mcd
>driver around, I could completely drop it from the kernel as part of my
>CD-ROM update for the 2.1.x kernel.

A sizable number of old Mitsumi drives like the FX001D (a doublespin drive
from the time when the NEC triple was the fastest) do not work with the mcdx
driver. The FX001D was a cheap drive at the time about $180 versus $450 for
NEC's triple and mine atleast still works today.

Side note:
Does anyone know of any economic papers written on contrasting the cost
structure between free software developement versus proprietary software?
An EconLit search came up empty. Please email me any repsonses. I think that
free software has very strong advantage overall at least in economic theory.

Steve Schroeder
sschroeder@socketis.net
Linux--The OS for people who like to learn and grow.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.184 / U:0.052 seconds]