SubjectRe: Upgrading
Date

> On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Michael P. Blinn wrote:
> >

> I recently upgraded from 2.0.30 to 2.1.42, and I found that between the
> 2.0 series of kernels and the 2.1 series there was a big change in methods
> for connecting various parts of the system software. The effects of this
> change are numerous, subtle, and deep. You will need to untar the new
> kernel source tree, modify Rules.make (delete the "-k" in line 166 from
> "$(GENKSYMS) -k"), and then build the kernel. Then you can install the new
> gcc, the new libc5, new binutils, etc.... When you get all the support
> software in, you can build and install the new modutils package. Then,
> finally, you can restore the original Rules.make and build the kernel once
> more. (Modutils must be built with a 2.1.xx kernel to get a genksyms
> which can run under the 2.1.xx kernel, but the 2.1.xx kernel wants the new
> genksyms to build the kernel.)

I really don't think that that is a good idea at all, especially when
the newest binutils takes care of that. If he's going to be upgrading to use
the newer kernels, he will be needing to upgrade a lot of things (modutils,
gcc, libc, sysklogd, gpm, what have you). taking out the -k in rules.make to
try to get backwards compatibility, IMHO may be a big hazard, and may cause
other things to break. I remember there being an HTML-ised shopping cart of
things to get to migrate from 1.2.13 to 2.x, but the URL escapes me. Also,
reading linux/Documentation/Changes would help on this as well.

Just my thoughts.

BL.
--
Brad Littlejohn | Email: tyketto@omnilinx.net
Unix Systems Administrator, | tyketto@acm.unomaha.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.026 / U:0.940 seconds]