SubjectRe: Linux (free s/w) support

darrenr@cyber.com.au said:
> If I were a Sun customer, with a support agreement/contract, I could
> say to them "there's this rsh-ioctl problem and I need a fix" and if
> they don't then they've got have a good reason why not. They may
> even supply me with a "test-patch" (which don't get released to the
> general public). Basically they answer to customer demand and
> posting things to bugtraq is not the same as a customer with a
> problem logging a support call.

I have dealt with sun in this manner. The only time I've seen them move is
when the common customer was one of the enourmous shipping companies and
the project involved a few million dollars in equipment. (NOT the USPS:-)

If you spend a zillion bucks every month on sparcs, you get support from
sun. Otherwise, forget it, contract or no. The support contract just makes
the paperwork look good, but has no practical benefit.

There are a few of us in the world who can fix our own (and our customer's)
problems, and we are the ones pushing Linux as hard as we can. There is
less risk depending on your own skills then becomming dependent on those
of a provider who may or may not need you. Contractual obligation is no
substitute for genuine interest.
--
Steve Williams
steve@icarus.com

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep,
And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.195 / U:0.580 seconds]