    SubjectRe: Confirmation requested
    Wayne Johnston wrote:

    > After trying in vain to get Linux running on my PC I have been advised that
    > it can't be done - at least, not if I want to maintain a DOS partition on
    > the same PC. I've been told that the boot sector hack that allows DOS to
    > recognize a hard drive over 512 MB is incompatible with Linux. Is there
    > really nothing I can do apart from investing in new hardware?

    Were you told this by someone that knew anything about Linux or was it a
    dos weenie (I'd guess the latter)?
    Yes, you should be able to run Linux using loadlin (see below).

    > That's the basic question. Here are some of the details...
    >
    > I have my disk divided like this below. I use hda4 as a minimal boot
    > partition for diagnosing problems with hda2. There have been nothing but
    > problems. I have installed Linux (Slackware) three times but it keeps
    > getting scrambled.
    >
    > Boot Begin Start End Blocks ID
    > /dev/hda1 * 1 1 407 205096 6 Dos 16-bit >=32M
    > /dev/hda2 408 408 814 205128 83 Linux native
    > /dev/hda3 815 815 855 20664 82 Linux swap
    > /dev/hda4 856 856 1024 85176 83 Linux native
    >
    > My disk geometry is 1086 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors, 547 MB.
    >
    > When my system boots, I see the following...
    >
    > >> SAMSUNG WideDisk BOOT DRIVER VERSION 1.01
    > >> MASTER IDE DRIVE: SAMSUNG SHD-30560A (APRO-5) SSI
    >
    > This, I've been told, is the root of my problem.
    >
    > Wayne Johnston
    > 311 College Street
    > Kingston ON K7L 4M3
    > (613) 544-5851
    > waynej@kos.net

    I have a similar problem with a Western Digital 2.5G IDE drive. I am
    surprised that you are having this problem with a 547M drive! However,
    here's what I did (pick paths on your DOS partition that are appropriate
    for you).

    I installed loadlin in c:\sys\loadlin. I created a dir in there called
    linux-2.0 and when I build a new kernel, I copy zImage there and edit my
    loadlin parameter files. I have a little script in my /root/bin
    directory that will do the copy for me.

    In config.sys (you'll probably want to pick different names for things):

    -- Cut here --
    [MENU]
    MENUITEM=4DOS,Normal / 4DOS / QEMM
    MENUITEM=NO_NET, Normal(^) without the Network
    MENUITEM=Linux,Linux Default Run Level
    MENUITEM=Linux_4,Linux Run Level 4
    MENUITEM=MSDOS,Microsoft's Stuff
    MENUITEM=DV,Desqview
    MENUITEM=PURE
    MENUDEFAULT=Linux,5

    >bunch of DOS / 4Dos / Qemm stuff <

    [Linux]
    shell=c:\sys\loadlin\loadlin.exe @c:\sys\loadlin\linux-2.0\paramsd.def

    [Linux_4]
    shell=c:\sys\loadlin\loadlin.exe @c:\sys\loadlin\linux-2.0\params4.def
    -- cut here --

    C:\sys\loadlin\linux-2.0\paramsd.def looks like this (fix it for your
    zImage name and root partition):

    -- cut here --
    C:\sys\loadlin\linux-2.0\zimg2_0.27
    root=/dev/hda4
    ro
    vga=extended
    -ja
    -v
    -- cut here --

    and C:\sys\loadlin\linux-2.0\params4.def looks like this (to boot up in
    run level 4 which will start mgetty and answer my phone, something I
    don't want happening during the day, but I do at night):

    -- cut here --
    C:\sys\loadlin\linux-2.0\zimg2_0.27
    root=/dev/hda4
    ro
    vga=extended
    4
    -ja
    -v
    -- cut here --

    You can add other linux boot params to these files as needed.

    Good luck.

    Robert
    --
    mailto:rwuest@ix.netcom.com
    Empowered by Linux.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.025 / U:0.448 seconds]