From: Joachim Paulini[SMTP:j.paulini@tu-bs.de]
Sent: Freitag, 3. Januar 1997 17:49
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Adaptec AHA2940

In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.970103041233.349I-100000@fotd.netcomi.com> you write:

>On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
>
>> Ive been using an AHA2940 for ages, and it works fine. However, there are
>> some problems with changing SCSI adapters, e.g. a harddisk formatted with
>> an Adaptec controller sometimes wont work with a NCR controller, and vice
>> versa.
>
>b..b..b..b..But... SCSI is supposed to be interchangeable, a fundamental
>goal of the interface design. This is alarming news. Is NCR or Adaptec
>at fault?
>
>--

NCR (now Symbios Logic) controllers and Adaptec controllers format disks
in different ways. However, NCR controllers are able to work with
Adaptec-formatted disks, but Adaptecs are not able to work with NCR-
formatted. You may reformat, but you lose your data.

--
Joachim Paulini | Institut fuer Theoretische Physik
j.paulini@tu-bs.de | Technische Universitaet Braunschweig

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.036 / U:5.332 seconds]