    SubjectRe: Encrypted filesystem
    I live in Munich, Germany.
    And I've been thinking about hacking a plain simple (but secure) version
    of an IDEA protected filesystem. Am I right that it would be sufficient to
    add a module on top of the loop filesystem and just under ext2fs? That
    way, one could have the encrypted filesystem in a huge file and mount it
    as a loop-device using the key.

    It's my understanding that the IDEA algorithm is copyrighted, but free to
    use for noncommercial applications. Is that right? That way, we probably
    couldn't include something like that in the kernel source tree.

    Is there a strong but secure algorithm? (I do not trust DES :)

    Importing into the US is legal, I think. I could put up stuff on my FTP

    Please excuse, if this sounds like newbie-sh*t. I would be willing to
    invest a considerable amount of work into a *secure* non-DES filesystem.

    Sinc., Stephan

    On Fri, 31 Jan 1997 wrote:
    > Because of inane U.S. export restrictions, cryptographic software can't be
    > exported from the United States. This is the main reason we don't have
    > cryptographic filesystem support in the kernel, I understand, particularly
    > since Linus will be moving to the U.S. soon.
    > Has anyone outside the U.S. pondered keeping an up-to-date set of patches
    > available on a non-U.S. FTP site? I have some patches, but they fail when
    > applied to the newer kernels. I can change them for myself, but for
    > everyone else I can't do anything since I'm in the U.S.
    > --
    > "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold. Mere anarchy is loosed upon the
    > world; The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of
    > innocence is drowned; The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full
    > of passionate intensity." -- "Second Coming" by Yeats.

    Stephan Meyer

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.028 / U:2.160 seconds]