SubjectRe: Recovered errors on ide1

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Matt Sapp wrote:
>
> > > As these errors showed up after the last big push to fix the CMD640 code,
> > > I can only conclude that this is where the problem is. Any folks have a
> > > better idea than "the drives broke"?
> >
> > Have you tried compiling a kernel without CMD640 support? If so, are the
> > errors still there? I think that next logical step, as it isn't the drives,
> > would be to try w/o the support for that driver, and if it is fixed, report
> > your findings to whomever is updating the CMD640 support.
> >
> My past experience with leaving off the CMD640 support was that the second
> ide controler either didn't work at all, or resulted in a corrupted file
> system almost immediately. There is no alternate chip set to drive this
> second controler, so I've not been too surprised.

I am not using the CMD640, my ide controller is a Genoa Veloce
ide/floppy/serial/parallel/video combo card. I have been getting:

hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success

with increasing frequency on my console. I do not have CMD640 support
in my kernel either.

I am not sure my problem is kernel related and after I posted my
first report of this I immediately thought that it should have
gone to comp.os.linux.hardware.

I got several replies, sort of confirming my initial suspicion
that the drive is going bad. It is a Western Digital Caviar
1.6 meg with a 200 meg Western Digital slaved to it. However,
other replies indicated that it could be heat, loose cables,
etc.

I popped the case off and replaced the 200 meg with a 2.5 gig
Fujitsu IDE so I could copy what I needed off of the 1.6 gig
WD and messages like the above became even more severe, some
involving hdb. I then put everything back the way it was and
the errors disappeared for a few days. Today they are back.

I know very well what a sick ide drive sounds like and my
drive doesn't sound like that. When these errors show up
the drive does make some pretty ugly noises, but these are
not the "sick ide noises."

I am running 2.0.27 on a local bus 486-50dx, nothing special.
Slackware 96. 20 megs ram. In general a nice little system.
I am not entirely convinced the drive is going bad.

Thanks,
Eric

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.045 / U:0.256 seconds]