SubjectRe: too much untested code in new kernels
On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Patricia Cross wrote:

> Roy P. Turner wrote:
> > I may be wrong, but I thought the purpose of the dev kernels, is so that
> > we, the willing, can test them and report bugs to the maintainers.
>
> Yes, the development kernels are there so we can test them, but I really
> don't think it's too much to ask that the person submitting a change at
> least _compile_ it before turning it in. Why would anyone turn it a
> change that they don't even know works on one single system?

Hear, hear. I don't think that the original post asked for an
exhaustive system test, but rather just a "smoke test" to see if there is
any chance that the patched code will function. I've seen at least one such
big boo-boo slip through into commercial production code, so I say you
can't test early enough.

Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer MWOOD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Those who will not learn from history are doomed to reimplement it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.046 / U:0.464 seconds]