SubjectRe: Adaptec AHA2940

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Steffen Grunewald wrote:

> "Bjarni R. Einarsson writes"
> |>
> |> I had troubles with an AHA-2940 myself, using linux 2.0.21. The computer
> |> would lock up real tight after about 1 minute of heavy disk access. I had
> |> to do a hard reboot to get the machine up and running again. Switching to
> |> 2.0.25 & 2.0.26 did not help.
> |>
> |> Researching mailing list archives gave me the following clues:
> |>
> |> 1. AHA-2940 doesn't like Trident video adapters.
> |> 2. AHA-2940 wants to be in PCI slot #1.
> |>
> |> Basically the card seems pretty sensitive.. tip #2 solved my problem.
> |> Merely pulling the card out and moving it to another slot was what solved
> |> my problem. :-/
> |>
> And if you read the manual, you find it mentioned that every other choice
> will cause problems. So there's no Linux related content - you would see
> very strange behaviour under Win 3.1 too (had to read the FM myself some
> weeks ago - same thing).

Did the manual mentionned how we can install 2 boards on a single main
board with a single PCI bus, so in the same PCI slot ?
Is a hammer enough or must we use a power hammer?

Or perhaps, Adaptec just assume that their boards are so expensive or
work so bad than people will never buy a second one?

Gerard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.053 / U:1.748 seconds]