SubjectRe: Serious ext2fs problem

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Mark H. Wood wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Chris Adams wrote:
>
> > Once upon a time, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote

> > > Bad SCSI bus.
> > >
> > ~24 hours. That doesn't seem like hardware to me.
>
> Sure does to me. Bad memory, that is. Once a cached block gets
> corrupted it stays put and stays corrupted.

It seems to me that people who report such ext2 errors never report
weird application programs behaviour. Being given that most of data
processed by the kernel are for application usage, it is very probable,
in my opinion, that application programs behaviour must be affected when
SCSI bus is bad or/and memory is loose.

Obviously, such problems may be often detected first by ext2 block checking,
and very probably some ext2 error reports are related to such hardware
flaws.

However, in my opinion, such causes shall from time to time break
ramdomly the kernel or application programs.
Wrong data swapped in/out, garbage-in, etc.. may affect application
programs.

Gerard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.086 / U:0.852 seconds]