SubjectRe: Does linux locks swap file?
Date
Followup to:  <m0vlx49-000BxZC@xtalk.msk.su>
By author: Boris Tobotras <boris@xtalk.msk.su>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Hello.
>
> If I've understood sys_swapon() correctly, there is no increment
> of inode's usage counter if swapping goes to regular file. If this
> assumption is correct, it is definitely a bug. If it is wrong, please
> tell me why :)
>
> This was inspired by report of someone who was able to crash
> system just by removing active swap file.

That's definitely a bug. IMNSHO a swapon() should be treated the same
way as an open() from this standpoint. It may also be a good idea
(although I don't know about this one, really) to record a lock on all
bytes in the file.

-hpa

--
This space intentionally has nothing but text explaining why this
space has nothing but text explaining that this space would otherwise

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.139 / U:0.288 seconds]