SubjectRe: Too Much ARP-ing
Date

>Not to be stating the obvious, but tcpdump puts the card into
>promiscuous mode when you run it. Or are you snooping the net on a
>seperate interface and/or machine?

I'm snooping on the same interface. If I was really in promiscuous mode,
then I'm assuming I would see a lot more traffic than I am seeing (this
is a very busy net segment). According to the man pages for tcpdump,
though, I can keep it from going into promiscuous mode (which is what I
did).

-p Don't put the interface into promiscuous mode.
Note that the interface might be in promiscuous for
some other reason; hence, `-p' cannot be used as an
abbreviation for `ether host {localhost} or broad-
cast'.

As far as it already being in that mode, should I not believe ifconfig?

Joel D. Kraft | Case Western Reserve University ____
jdk6@po.cwru.edu | Department of Computer Engineering & Science \ /

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.122 / U:0.840 seconds]