    SubjectRe: If Linux is to succeed
    On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > most Microsoft APIs are >largely< redundant. Say i've counted 1500
    > different API calls in windows.h ... and that doesnt include new bloat
    > like ActiveX, 3D stuff and the networking nightmare called Netbeui and SMB
    > over TCP.
    > Compare this with the 167 Linux system calls.

    You, however, are neglecting that the many Windows API calls are for
    graphical manipulation, e.g., InvalidateRect(), MsgBox(), and
    ShowWindow(). For this to be an accurate comparison you'd also have to
    include the Xlib and perhaps also X Toolkit calls.

    I think perhaps you are missing the point about supporting the Windows
    APIs and such. The idea is not to incorporate this into the primary
    development environment, but to make it easy for the multitudinous
    Windows apps to be ported to Linux (or UN*X in general). Linux would be
    a much more appealing target platform for professional developers if it
    required little more than a new-line conversion (for readability), a
    re-make, and a modicum of debugging. Of course, these things always seem
    kludgy and I doubt if it would ever work properly.

    W. Reilly Cooley
    The Naked Ape Consulting
    1509 NE 10th Ave., #104 Portland, OR 979232
    503 287-2165

    As a service, I provide analysis for viruses and poor grammar to senders
    of unsolicited commercial e-mail at a rate of $250 per hour. Delivery of
    said correspondence constitutes a request for the afforementioned services
    at said price.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:18.900 seconds]