    SubjectRe: If Linux is to succeed

    Yes, You've missed it, and yes, this thread belongs there.

    This list (linux-kernel) was established so that the kernel developers
    would have communications amongst themselves and those doing a lot of
    kernel testing. Be a good guy and remove your 'linux-lite' discussions to
    a more apropos list.

    No, I'm not a moderator, but I value highly the work that gets done on
    this list.

    "An American is a man with two arms and four wheels."
    -A chinese child

    On 24 Jan 1997, Zygo Blaxell wrote:

    > In article <9701231427.ZM8441@platypus>,
    > Jason Benderly <jbenderl@PaineWebber.COM> wrote:
    > >Sorry for the waste of bandwidth but the subject is
    > >the most important one facing Linux, and it has been
    > >mentioned on the list.
    > I second the motion to have a separate list for Linux advocacy
    > ("linux-future"); I'll probably be subscribed the same day it's created,
    > unless I've missed it already. All this *technical* discussion about
    > the Linux kernel gets in the way of the interesting topics. I assume
    > that everyone who doesn't care has killfiled the subject by now. ;-)
    > >The Linux community should also shed the notion that everything
    > >should be free. Prices should not be what they are for Sun or HP
    > >products (multi thousand dollars for a GUI painter) but should
    > >be similar to PC market prices. I know I am willing to spend some
    > >cash.
    > Adobe, Sun, and HP get most of their business from large customers;
    > they don't really have the infrastructure for dealing with millions of
    > individual users.
    > Quote from my boss: "What the hell is taking [the WINE project] so long?
    > Can they solve their problems if we just gave them money? We have to pay
    > for dozens of Win95 licenses *anyway* so it's not like it makes a
    > difference to us to give the money to someone else."
    > It will be interesting to see if non-MS implementations of MS API can
    > compete at all. I wonder how much real financial loss MS incurred when
    > people gave up on MS and switched to something else because the new
    > Win95 apps wouldn't run under WABI or OS/2? Until Microsoft has market
    > pressure of this kind, they aren't going anywhere.
    > The big problem for Windows clone vendors is that there's very little
    > profit margin in it and a lot of risk. The cheapest working Windoze
    > implementation is still a PC running Microsoft you-know-what (remember
    > that the reason Microsoft did so well is that the clone vendors took over
    > the lionshare of PC sales from IBM by selling much cheaper machines).
    > OS/2's Windows implementation is sometimes better than rebooting the
    > machine into Win95 and costs less than keeping extra partitions around if
    > you *must* run or develop OS/2 apps. Sun's WABI is cheaper than buying
    > thousands of Windows boxes for your company, if you already have Sparcs
    > with X terminals lying around. Administration also scales better;
    > WABI can maintain the low sysadmin-to-user ratios customers are used
    > to with Unix. WINE is free software and the same cheap hardware, but
    > it was incomplete the last time I checked.
    > >Microsoft operating systems are second rate. Everyone knows that.
    > >Microsoft applications and applications architectures are the very best.
    > Half of the Microsoft applications are horrible, and the other half only
    > exist to solve problems created by the first half. Several application
    > features in Windows don't exist in other places because the problems they
    > solve just aren't there.
> [...]

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.074 / U:1.652 seconds]