    SubjectRe: If Linux is to succeed

    > Linux needs applications to succeed in business. No question
    > about it. Not the pathetic Applix or buggy WordPerfect. Why is
    > it that the Windows API has not been ported to Unix? Why not the
    > Microsoft Foundation classes? Why not ActiveX/OLE/DCOM.

    Because they suck? The windoze API is basically wrong-headed IMO.
    If someone ports it, great, yippee (actually someone has, check out It shouldn't be a goal of Linux to emulate windoze.
    Good, native applications are a much better solution.

    It's "nice" to support windoze apps, but not necessary to the survival
    of Linux. I don't think I'd want to use the windoze-user's Linux.

    > The Linux community should also shed the notion that everything
    > should be free. Prices should not be what they are for Sun or HP
    > products (multi thousand dollars for a GUI painter) but should
    > be similar to PC market prices. I know I am willing to spend some
    > cash.

    As am I. There a numerous commercial Linux applications.

    > Microsoft operating systems are second rate. Everyone knows that.
    > Microsoft applications and applications architectures are the very best.
    > Everyone knows that too, and that is why they hold 90% of the market.

    I disagree totally. The "architecture" is windoze' major problem. Some
    of the problem is implementation, but I think there is a basic
    wrong-headedness about it. Windoze certainly caters to bloated applications
    and development style. Ever write a program in straight C, then write
    the same thing using MFC, which is now by far the "suggested" model? The
    difference is obvious.

    But I'm cynical :-)

    - --
    Jeremey Barrett
    Senior Software Engineer
    VeriWeb Internet Corp.

    PGP Key fingerprint = 3B 42 1E D4 4B 17 0D 80 DC 59 6F 59 04 C3 83 64
    PGP Public Key:

    "less is more." -- Mies van de Rohe.

    Version: 2.6.2

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:10.788 seconds]