    SubjectRe: Swap Files
    On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

    > Yea! You are finally on the same wavelength as me, hence my reason
    > for starting this thread on linux-kernel :-)

    Okay, why didn't you say so from the very beginning? :-)

    > How about changing sys_swapoff() too? Perhaps adding a flags parameter
    > like sys_swapon() already has?

    No, I don't think that would be necessary. It can be done safely in

    The only reason I can think of for not changing swapoff -a is consistency:
    since swapon -a turns on all swap devices/files in /etc/fstab, swapoff
    should do the opposite. On the other hand, umount -a is already
    inconsistent with mount -a (reading from mtab, as opposed to fstab), so..

    Right now I'm working on the swapon/swapoff program from the mount
    package to make it use /proc/swapareas.

    > Note: I am prepared to make these changes myself.

    Don't bother, I already have them in my running kernel. :-)

    moisil:~# cat /proc/swapareas
    Filename Type Size
    /swapfile file 4092
    /dev/hda1 partition 34236

    It works fine for me. I'll make the changes available as soon as I'm done
    with the userspace swapoff.

    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
    than to open it and remove all doubt.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:31.668 seconds]